Sunday, September 8, 2013

2013 Summer Update

The unofficial end of summer has come and gone and so has another checkup for me at the Johns Hopkins Scleroderma Center in Baltimore. I had my last checkup in February and it was time for another quick trip down to see Dr Wigley. I have to say that I don't recall there being less traffic on any other trip. Maybe it's because it was the day after Labor Day, but there was never a slow down heading there or heading back.

When I first went to Johns Hopkins in January 2007, after being diagnosed in the late spring of 2006, there were just 2 doctors in the practice and it was relatively quiet there . Now there are 5 doctors specializing in scleroderma and it's much busier, though they do a great job of getting things done efficiently and on time. I've been back on CellCept since Jan 2012 when my immune system seemed to be fighting me again instead of helping me. After my last visit in February the dosage was reduced from 3 pills twice a day to 2 pills twice a day and now we'll slowly reduce it over the next 3 months to 1 pill twice a day. So that means the medication continues to work and keep things in check like it's supposed to do. 

As Dr Wigley says with a smile, if I didn't have scleroderma I'd be in fantastic health! He's very pleased with my progress and we'll catch up again next March. Actually I'll see him and the other doctors later this month as they are hosting a Scleroderma Day at their facility and my wife & I will be driving down and attending. The Doctors will be speaking about the latest research and current advancements in treatments and we'll get to hear it all from them. 

After my appointment I gave 7 vials of blood for tests and research, made my next appointment for March and headed back on the road for an easy 3 hour drive home. 

I will follow up again with another post at the end of the month as long as we make it Scleroderma Day.

Stay healthy!


No comments: